Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pardon the Interruption

The context is set during the reign of Hezekiah, king of Judah.  In his first year as king he got to work cleansing the temple of God.  He tore down the idols of false gods according to his religion.  The idols were so prominent that he had to tear one out of the temple itself.  It defined the state of his culture.  The idol of a serpent (an asherah pole) standing in the middle of the temple of God.  Hezekiah tore it down.  He then took a staff of Moses that was being idolized by the people of God, and he broke it.  Hezekiah went to work cleansing the temple so that it would be holy and pleasing to God, according to his religion.  He commissioned the religious leaders to set themselves apart to God again through the "cleansing" process of his religion.  As they began this process, Hezekiah began to make the invitations.  The Kingdom was invited to the party.  Not just Judah, but all the tribes of Israel.  The invites went out.  Some laughed and mocked Hezekiah, some prepared themselves in holy reverence, and some started to party even before the party started.  What happened next looked like chaos.  The unclean people started touching the clean stuff.  The clean people started to freak out.  The party  (passover) was starting to early.  It wasn't according to the religion.  The sacrifices weren't right.  They were being made by unclean people.  The priests began to shudder.  The levites began to cringe.  They were all going to die.  The covenant was clear as to who was to touch the passover lambs, make the sacrifices, lead the prayer, and preach the sermons.  The cleansing process of the people was known by all.  They knew they weren't clean. The steps to sanctification were essential to keep the peace with God. . . .

Unless.  

Unless they weren't at peace anyway.

Unless God was more interested in pardoning his people than judging them.  

Unless he was more interested in foreshadowing a new covenant not built on being clean in order to come to the temple, but being clean through the temple.  

Before the invitations had gone out, Hezekiah had prayed, "May the good Lord pardon everyone who sets his heart to seek God, the Lord, the God of his fathers, even though not according to the sanctuary's rules of cleanness."  2 Chronicles 31:18-19.  He knew no one was clean enough.  He knew it was more important to get his people to the God that saves than to clean them up first.  He knew this would only work if God granted the grace for it to work.  And He did.  God heard the prayer of Hezekiah and accepted unclean people in his clean temple.  He pardoned their interruption.


Even in the old religion, God was foreshadowing a new one.  Good religion begins by leaning into the truth that God longs to pardon people even though not according to the churches rules of cleanness.  Pardon the interruption, but religion may need to be redefined by leaders who are claiming that Jesus already petitioned God on behalf of people who are setting their hearts to seek God.  How do we find those people?  Invite them to the party.  Jesus is the last passover lamb.  He is what Hezekiah was bringing his people to.  A belief system (religion) doesn't matter until  someone has a God worth believing in.  A God that pardons me before I do anything for him. . . I want to believe that.

2 comments:

  1. Good Stuff My friend...Reminds me of...

    “I can’t stand your religious meetings. I’m fed up with your conferences and conventions. I want nothing to do with your religion projects, your pretentious slogans and goals. I’m sick of your fund-raising schemes, your public relations and image making. I’ve had all I can take of your noisy ego-music. When was the last time you sang to me? Do you know what I want? I want justice—oceans of it. I want fairness—rivers of it. That’s what I want. That’s all I want.
    Amos 5:20-22 The Message

    Enough Religion...Give me Jesus...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick.
      The paraphrase of Amos you mentioned begs the question, "what does a religion that values oceans of justice and rivers of fairness look like?" I want my religion to reflect Jesus. I can't stop having religion in it's purest form, but I can rebrand it to reflect the Jesus that I want more of. How Peterson defines religion is insightful for us to reflect on: conferences, slogans, fund-raising, public relations, image making. . . . sounds less like a belief system and more like a business plan. I doubt that many of us would believe this to be Jesus' religion, yet we spend most of our waking hours caught up in this model. Thanks for the thought provoking response.

      Delete